Monday, May 09, 2011

Documenting "Layers of Life"

Layers of Life - Acrylic on 16" x 20" gallery wrapped canvas

Here are some shots of this painting as it evolved...


I began working on this painting this weekend and found that I was getting too tight and too literal with my "circle" theme.

Today I went in with bright colors to open up the space and get a lot more action happening.

I was really feeling the turquoise/orange/yellow combo...

And then I started to get into the feeling of lots and lots of layers in various levels of translucency...

The finished product has this wild, frenzied action all over the surface with a gradual lightening as it works towards the top. I am feeling inspired by Lee Krasner's Noon - a piece that has moved me for years - as well as the abstract qualities of the great impressionists. I still have farther to push this series but I'm really liking where I'm headed right now.

5 comments:

Kim Rempel said...

Love, love, LOVE! Your work inspires me and just makes me happy. Beautiful!

Susie Tenzer said...

thanks for showing the process, terrific painting!

Unknown said...

Thank you both so much for stopping by and leaving your kind comments!

Kathryn Dyche said...

I love seeing the progression, beautiful work.

jafabrit said...

loved seeing the progression pics, and all the lush colours, it's lovely.